Wednesday, April 30, 2008

How to install Drupal 6.2

Installing Drupal is very easy. But if you can't understand how to install it then let me show you. In this tutorial I am using Drupal 6.2 version. Before installation make sure your have all recommended system requirements.

System Requirements are:


Now follow these steps:
  1. First of all download latest copy of Drupal from this link: http://drupal.org/download
  2. Uncompress & put the it into your server's root directory. In my case I put it into /htdocs/ directory and renamed it as 'mydrupal'.
  3. Now visit it from your browser: http://localhost/mydrupal
  4. Choose your desire language, I chose: Install Drupal in English
  5. In this step Drupal will verify your system requirement. If your system requirements are correct then you have nothing to do, just move next.
  6. Now setup database: go to http://localhost/phpmyadmin & create a database something like 'mydrupal_db'
  7. Back to Drupal & enter database information. In my case I entered following:
    • Database type: mysqli
    • Database name: mydrupal_db
    • Database username: root
    • Database passowrd: [password of my database server]
  8. Now configure your site:
    • Enter site name: 'My Drupal'
    • Site email address: 'admin@localhost.com'
    • Administrator Username: 'admin'
    • Administrator Email: 'admin@localhost.com'
    • Administrator Password: '123456'
    • Save & Continue
That's it, now visit this url to see your new Drupal site: http://localhost/mydrupal


As you are the administrator of your site, do the following tasks to enjoy full control of it:
  1. Create Administrator Role:
    • Go to: Administer > User Management > Roles
    • Add Role with a name something like 'Administrator'
    • Go to: Administer > User Management > Users
    • Here you will find a user with name 'admin'. Now click "Edit" link.
    • In the next page check on "Administrator" role & Save
  2. Assign Administrator Permissions:
    • Go to: Administer > User Management > Permissions
    • Check on all checkboxes found under 'Administrator' column. This will allow 'admin' user to access all functions of all installed modules.

Congratulations, you have successfully installed Drupal. For more information about how to administer Drupal read this article: http://drupal.org/getting-started/6/admin

If you think this post helps you, then don't forget to Digg it. Thanks a lot!

Bookmark It!
Subscribe in a reader

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanx...this was a great help for me. very good...

Anonymous said...

hi, do you plan to have your own dot com? I do provide domain and hosting sponsorship, if interested pls contact me

nklmish said...

Tx...It was really a big help.

Wim said...

Hi,

I've setup my Drupal site on localhost and added allready a lot of modules and content.

In a while I will register a domain and would like to host the site on an internet server.

Is there an easy way to have my local Drupal installation moved to a webserver ? So I don't need to reinstall all modules again and create all content again...

Thanks for your help!
Wim
wim.deschepper@gmail.com

Macrosoft said...

Great drupal 6.2 installation tips.

Drupal Development Company